Saturday 7 January 2017

Dry January (and a bit of December)



Well, there goes the first week of 2017. It’s been an interesting one! I didn’t make any resolutions but I did set a few intentions instead. Not sure if intentions sound less pressured than resolutions but it works for me.... I have all the usual suspects covered. Eat more healthily, do more exercise, meditate regularly, make time for self practice of Reiki, have fun etc.

However, one intention has been more accidental and this one has given me lots of things to think about this week. I spent a very enjoyable evening with my beautiful friend Mrs S just before New Year. We chatted, we drank, we ate good food and drank some more. We giggled (and drank) and listened to great music. Did I mention the drink? I actually rarely drink to excess (despite what others might tell you!) but this one was a doozy. I suffered all the next day, and the day after that. Now, at no point did I consciously decide to give up alcohol but after a few days I did feel a bit better, then a lot better and my mind started suggesting “Oo, why don’t we try Dry January? That might be fun! Bet we can’t do it!” Around this time, coincidentally, two inspirational ladies that I follow online posted items around alcohol and giving up. To be fair both Rae and Sas have totally given up and I am not even suggesting that at the moment. Mine is more about let’s see how this goes. Bearing in mind I have both my birthday and a trip to Gran Canaria with a friend planned this month it could be a bigger challenge than I thought.


But, the positives so far have been great – and even DH has noticed. He did sheepishly mention that he thought I was drinking a bit too much. Not lots, but most nights I had a drink or two to ‘unwind’. Now I am discovering the joy of the evening cuppa and all manner of sparkling juices! Hmmm, if only I can get to grips with my salt and vinegar crisp habit too :)


Hope you are finding success with any resolutions or intentions that you have set for 2017 – would love to hear what they are!

No comments:

Post a Comment